My Lighter Desire - A Collector of Lighters

Brett Huguenard
Image credits: Brett Huguenard
     I've been collecting lighters for many years now and over time I've acquired over 30 different lighters. I think it's kind of an odd thing to collect, being it's a collection of all different types of lighters and not a specific brand or type. However, my favorite type and brand of lighter would probably be the Ronson Jetlite because of its practical uses because of the very hot and direct flame. The Ronson Jetlite is also a windproof lighter, which is extremely important, particularly if you're a smoker.

     About a year ago, I was in Kuwait during a deployment and was smoking about a pack a day. Unfortunately, the only kinds of lighters that were available were the cheaply made disposable lighters, similar to the common Bic. However, these were not even Bic, and would often quit working early in their life because of sand build-up, the climate, the rugged use and carrying of the lighter, or other factors. On the rare occasion the lighters were physically functioning like they should, the windy desert conditions would often snuff the flame about before having a chance to light a cigarette. Well, being stationed in Kuwait, soldiers would willingly pay good money to have just one decent lighter to have in their possession. It was at this time I would have loved to have on of my Ronson Jetlites with me, but I unfortunately left them back home in the States.

     Ronson makes many of these types of lighters, with the most popular and common one being the Ronson Jetlite. I own three of the Jetlites and they all work great. They're reliable, easy to refill, and very affordable. Ronson makes many different kinds of lighters, though. Some are fancy, some are rare, some are vintage, and some are just simple and basic. Have a look throughout this site to find the right kind of lighter for you.